Tuesday, July 6, 2010

An opportunity missed but a lesson well learnt

Approximately few weeks back, I've been informed that I was 1 of the selected candidates to be interviewed to particape in YLA by McKinsey. At that time, I've got no knowledge on who/what is McKinsey and what they do at all so I asked around and found out that they are a highly reputated company and definitely the best of the best management consultant company in the world. Such a shame not knowing it earlier but resorted to ask my brothers about this company.
Backdating to 2 Saturdays ago, I attended the interview where the company is proudly situated in the heart of city and occupying part of 57th floor of this high-rise building. I made my way to the 42nd floor before I continue my way up to the 57th floor. I did have a look around this area and have a peek at the KL view from the 42nd floor and snapped a few pictures with phone as well. It was awesome! Then, I made my way through to the 57th floor before I was warmly greeted by the reception and of course the snacks that the provided too.

Next, I was called up for 2 separate interview sessions. The first went smoothly and I think I did reasonable good in it. On the second interview, I kinda hessitated and I just couldn't think of what to talk about and the plan couldn't come out from my head. I'm outta my mind. So, I sort of screwed up on my second interview.

Yesterday, my first interviewer, Chee Hong(I hope I spelt it correctly), called up and gave me the bad news. In a way, I was glad that they even bother to call me up although I wasn't selected for YLA. What I was told is that I wasn't specific enough in what I am to do to bring Malaysia forward. I have just got to agree with him because all this while in my life, I've never had any specific goals/targets on what I have to do in future.

Ever since Secondary school, I never know whether I should follow my brothers footstep in Art's stream, or should I try out something different from them in Science stream, so I randomly chosen Science stream just to be different from my brothers, not wanting to do something similar as them and this is not because I'm totally obsessed with Science Stream. Then, when I entered my college life, I had to meddle between all this choices again.

After completing my A-levels, I took a very long time to decide to advance into Engineering field, but not knowing which Engineering course should I take. One of the reason I took Engineering is because Engineers can help improve everyone's life and I wished I could do that someday to improve everybody's life. Once again, I randomly selected to take on Chemical Engineering w. Environmental Engineering in Notts.

So far, I always have a mindset to do whatever I'm asked to do, trying out anything and everything BUT I never had any specific goals/plans. So, I hope in the coming future, I can figure out to be more specific on what I want to do and how will I accomplish my fugure goals/plans.

Anyway, would like to compliment Chee Hong and McKinsey for their good practice to call up on every sucessful/unsuccessful interviewees and he even offered me service to help me in the future if I were to face the same problem again, or if I ever apply to McKinsey to work. You guys really earn the respect from me and I really appreciate you guys and I definitely have a very good impression of this place.

3 comments:

poyi said...

nice experience la. and u really need to think about ur future GOALS! LOL. cus yr 4 is gonna start dy !

ps said...

yeah thank you. .. Really need to think properly before and have to stop having the mentality of "doing whatever I am asked to"

huijiun said...

hi, I graduated in Notts with MEng in Chemical Engineering and now doing PhD. I went to McKinsey today for a postgraduate event and I met Chee Hoong and other staff as well. I found them really friendly and approachable. Good luck in your coming final year project!